Thursday, 30 May 2013

Shabby Wench

I've had this mannequin hanging around for a couple of years now - when I bought it, she was covered in satin and quite tacky bling, so I rescued her, stripped off the tacky and then abandoned her. About three months ago I covered her in ripped Macbeth pages and abandoned her yet again. Partly because I was sick of her falling off the shelf all the time and because I just wanted to get messy, I went at her yesterday with all sorts of inks, mists, glazes and such - mission accomplished, I got mucky and so did she. I think she has something of the Degas Little Dancer about her - without the £13 million pricetag!

Wednesday, 29 May 2013


Yesterday was wet and miserable here, but rather than vegging in front of the box all day (as we did on Monday, watching back to back episodes of my current favourite programme Duck Dynasty) I decided to get crafty. I had nothing in mind at all, just a plain tag, so I got out some dies and grungepaper and let my project evolve.

My background is an embossed french script stamp, I then inked the tag with pickled raspberry, seedless preserves, and tumbled glass, masked, coloured and stamped. I cut the dressform body from adhesive foil tape and alcohol inked  after embossing it. The wings were an image transfer onto grungepaper which I inked and crackled.

A couple of weeks ago I had a play with some diecut mountboard bookplates,. making antique metal effects with various embossing powders, so I now have a small stock of bookplates as embellishments.

My flowers and leaves are cut from old book pages - Romeo and Juliet to be exact.

Seam binding inked to match, scrunched and dried.

By the time I'd finished I was thoroughly inked myself - nothing new there.

Wednesday, 22 May 2013

First youtube

I've been threatening to make youtubes of my craftynesses for ages now and never seem to get anywhere. I tried to make an actual video, but lost the will, so instead, I've made a slide show type thingy; my first attempt had banners with descriptions, but the text extended beyond the frame (useless!) so I deleted that and redid it without. Well I've looked and looked but can't figure out how to add a caption - it must be super simples, but I haven't cracked it yet.

Anyhoo, my first youtube is now posted and it's gone viral - eight, yes, eight peeps have watched it!!! I made this mini for my sister's birthday - which is today Happy Birthday Heather. I used Steamtown Spring from Ephemera's Vintage Garden. For the cover, I modpodged the cover liner from the kit onto both sides of a piece of grungepaper. All the pages have top and side loading pockets for tags - the top loading tags are months of the year for recording important dates, and the side loading ones are for addresses. I added a magnetic closure flap pocket to the inside front cover and a top loading pocket on the back cover.

I also made a matching card

I'm now working on a couple of junk journals from this kit - I made one a couple of weeks ago but my daughter appropriated it!