Monday, 14 July 2014

What's old is new again.

For the last few weeks, as well as my card making, and knitting, I've had the sewing machine out - it really is all taking over the house! The last time I had the overlocker up and running was at least 10 years ago, but a bit of a spray with WD40 and she was back in action. The reason for the sewing is that I wanted to make some storage containers for Moll to take to Uni with her - I know what you're thinking and yes, I am deluded if I think there's a hope in hell of her being tidy whilst she's away, but let it not be said that I didn't try. When I first thought of making them, she was frantically studying, so the sewing stayed on the back burner, in the meantime, The Great British Sewing Bee came back for a new series and I realised how much I missed sewing clothes as well as soft furnishings. So by the time the exam rush came to an end, I was raring to go, so much so that I've lost count of what I've made, BUT here is the first item I've got around to photographing - more to follow though.

The fabric was given to me by my Great Aunty Alice who was a prolific dressmaker and fabric hoarder - that'll be where I get the fabric hoarding from then! She gave it to me in the early 1990's, but she'd bought it in the 1950's. The pattern I used was a vintage pattern from the 1940's/50's and has a real Bette Davis look.

Lovely mother of pearl buttons


No comments:

Post a Comment